How long do I need to wait before over seeding my lawn after applying PREVENT pre-emergent?
PREVENT should not used over grass seed that has not germinated. PREVENT will remain active in the soil 10-12 weeks preventing all grass seed & crabgrass seed from germinating. However; you can be successful when spring seeding by following Uncle’s idiot proof tips on spring over seeding.
If you have already applied PREVENT this season follow this link to learn more about spot seeding for bare spots.
Tips on Spring Seeding or Dormant Seeding
- Short mow the lawn to a height of 1½ to 2 inches.
- Rake or sweep the lawn to remove heavy debris and lawn clippings. Rough the surface of any bare soil areas.
- Spread your Grass Pad grass seed with rotary or hand cranked “whirlwind” type spreader. Extra seed should be applied to any bare ground areas.
- After seed has been applied; cover bare spots with a light top dressing of sphagnum peat or PrimeraFC as a cover to hold moisture and promote quick germination. Topsoil, black peat or straw contain weed seeds and should not be used.
- February to mid- March fertilize the entire area with Loveland Golf Course Starter or Renovator.
- During extended periods of spring drought, as weather conditions permit, water seeded areas lightly so the soil surface remains moist. Give special attention to repaired bare areas. Bare areas larger than a dinner plate can dry out quickly from wind.
- Mid-April (Tax Day) Apply Seed Safe, containing mesotrione crabgrass pre-emergent safe for new seed and a seed starter fertilizer.
- When the grass seedlings reach a height of 3 to 4 inches, mow to a height of 3 inches with a sharp mower blade, at a time when the grass is not wet.
- Late May: Apply full strength Prevent crabgrass pre-emergent to all areas ONLY after those areas have filled in and mature enough to have been mowed at least twice.
Uncle’s tip: Seed Safe is a unique combination of starter fertilizer and crabgrass herbicide and ideal for use during turf establishment, renovation or overseeding to control selected grassy and broadleaf weeds while providing a high-quality starter fertilizer to promote seedling germination and rapid establishment. We call Seed Safe the “Smart Bomb” pre-emergent. The best thing about Seed Safe is it allows the good grass to grow and stops the annual grassy weed from germinating. However; Seed Safe does not have a long residual in the soil, so for best results use an application of Seed Safe at Tax Day and an application of PREVENT around Mother’s Day to extend summer long crabgrass control.