How do I repair bare spots in the lawn after applying crabgrass preventer? Follow these steps on how to grow grass in barespots after you have applied crabgrass pre-emergent.
Spring Spot Seeding When Using PREVENT!
- Step 1 – Locate your bare spots and rake clean any debris.
- Step 2 – (Mid-March – Mid-April) Apply Step #1 Prevent over the entire lawn and water with ½ inch of water within 48 hours.
- Step 3 – Wait a minimum of 3 days, to allow for the pre-emergence herbicide to activate in the soil. Using a heavy rake scratch the soil surface of each bare spot. Disturbing the soil surface will break the weed killing vapor barrier created by the herbicide.
- Step 4 – Cover each barespot with ½ inch of weed free PrimeraFC seed dressing.
- Step 5 – Apply your new Grass Pad grass seed on top of this layer of PrimeraFC.
- Step 6 – Cover grass seed with ¼ inch layer of PrimeraFC. DO NOT USE TOPSOIL OR COMPOSTED PEATS. Topsoil and composted peats are contaminated with weed seeds from the field it was taken.
- Step 7 – Water and keep damp with frequent light waterings.
- Step 8 – Mow as needed with a sharp blade on a day when the grass is not wet.